Freezing food is a quick and efficient way to store it so that it lasts for longer and can be used whenever you need it. However, there are a few ways to store food in the freezer to ensure that it is safe and retains its quality.
To begin with, ensure that your freezer is working correctly and is set to a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less. Do not overstuff the freezer and keep a quarter of the space empty to allow proper air circulation.
Here are some tips on how to pack food and store it in the freezer:
- Use durable and leak-proof containers that are made with food-grade materials
- Use rigid containers with straight sides so that they can fit together and take up less space in the freezer
- Do not use glass jars for freezing liquids. The jar can explode as the liquid freezes and expands
- Leave space in containers as most food will expand
- When using bags or laminate sheets to store food in the freezer, push out all of the air in the bag to avoid air pockets
- Label your boxes and packets with the date you have frozen the food to ensure that nothing goes bad
- Thaw food in the refrigerator rather than at room temperature to reduce the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms
- Keep an inventory of the food in the freezer to prevent overstoring food or leaving it in the freezer for longer than intended
- Arrange the food in the freezer in such a way that older food is towards the front where you can see it and use it on time
Certain foods are not suitable for the freezer because they can affect the flavour of the food or change its texture and quality. Pepper, garlic, onion, and certain seasonings lose flavour after being frozen and thawed. Cooked eggs, cooked pasta, creamy or milky sauces, potatoes, and some other vegetables are not suitable for freezing because their texture can change and become undesirable. Proper knowledge and training on food safety can help you prepare, store, and cook your food in a way that keeps you safe. A food safety course can help you in gaining this knowledge. The Australian Institute of Accreditation offers courses to become a food safety supervisor in Victoria that you may benefit from.